Can Religious-Based Ethics Play a Role in Development?

By Eve R. Hill

Introduction

is closely linked to the idea of progress. Therefore the way in which progress is quantified, whether through economic, social or spiritual values, determines the way in which we conceptualize development (Power 2005). Religious beliefs are similarly ambiguous, although this arises from the sheer diversity of faiths present in the world today. Consequently the relationship between development and is hauntingly complex and so variable that it eludes simple definition (Alkire 2007). Nevertheless, since the first missionary endeavors of the colonial era, religious-based have, for better or worse, always played a role in development (De Kadt 2009).

Despite their considerable contributions to healthcare and in the global South, faith-based organizations (FBO) have traditionally been marginalized in discourses (Marshall 2001; Selinger 2004; Clarke 2006). However the 1990’s witnessed a significant change in the development agenda when the World Bank began emphasizing a need for greater collaboration between secular and religious organizations (Olson 2008). In 1998 the then president of the World Bank, the Archbishop of Canterbury and a small group of senior leaders from nine major world faiths met to discuss the role of FBOs. This meeting provided the foundation for the World Faiths Development Dialog, a non-profit organization working at the intersection of religion and global development (WFDD 2010). This marked a growing interest in FBOs and their position in development practices.

Given these recent changes to the faith-based development agenda which acknowledge the historical and contemporary role of religion in development, I contend that religious-based ethics do play a role in development. The more imperative question is ‘should religious-based ethics play a role in development?’

Through an exploration of World Vision’s (WV) Christian-inspired values this essay argues that the dilemmas posed by proselytizing and religious convictions outweigh any positive gains from a religious-based ethic. WV, it should be noted, represents a small fraction of the diversity of FBOs currently engaged in development (Clarke 2006) and this fact must be taken into consideration. However, the specific example of WV also provides a means to ground theoretical work within the faith-based development agenda. To focus the discussion, there follows a brief description of religious-based ethics before the main benefits and then problems of WV’s Christian ethic are explored. The benefits have been identified as religious motivation and an understanding of faith as a lived practice.

Religious-based ethics

Before considering how religious ethics influence development it is important to distinguish religious beliefs from religious-based ethics. The former simply describes what an individual believes, whereas the latter conveys an ethical framework derived from a religious rationale (Huntington 1993). It is best understood through the way it guides behavior and prescribes notions of right and wrong (Holloway and Valins 2002; Tomalin 2006).

Religious-based ethics strongly influence and partly inform an individual’s world view (Huntington 1993). Weber (1976) argued that their effect was powerful enough to drive the emergence of industrial in Europe, and while his essay was criticized on other accounts his ideas have since gained credence (Hamilton 2000; Ingleh 2000). Understanding how religious ethics shape organizations and the work they do is the first step to understanding the relationship between religion and development (Olson 2008).

Benefits of Religious-based Ethics

Motivation and Dedication

Both secular and religious development organizations have the shared humanitarian goal of alleviating and tackling the causes of poverty. Their difference lies in their motivation (Brandt 1995; Alkire 2007). Unlike secular organizations religious groups draw on the spiritual values embedded in their faith to provide the logic for development work, and this can act as a powerful motivator (Clarke 2006). For instance, the policies and practices of WV reflect a desire to be ‘Christ-like’: healing the sick, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and comforting the outcast (Tripp 1999: 62). A look at WV’s core values reaffirms these assertions, stating our ‘mission is to follow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed...’ (WV International 2010: Who We Are). The Christian ethic present in WV as an organization and among its staff instils a sense of duty that motivates their development work (Tomalin 2006).

Religious motivation has played an important part in development over the years. De Kadt (2009: 782) writes of the 1970’s in Africa when public healthcare in rural areas was so sparse that religious facilities often provided the only available resource, stating ‘the dedication of such missionaries, mostly working in extremely difficult conditions, to the well-being of their poor patients was admirable’. Their role became even more crucial when IMF structural adjustment policies forced many developing governments to heavily reduce social provisions (Clarke 2006). Further still, religious motivation has been known to induce FBOs to challenge dictatorships and defend , such as the Catholic Church in during the 1970’s and 1980’s (De Kadt 2009).  

Understanding Religion as Lived Practice and Culture

Development is generally associated with the global South where religion plays a more prominent role in the public sphere than it does in European society (Martin 1990; Chesnut 2003). Tripp (1999) argues that WV’s members’ faith enables them to understand how religion can manifest in daily life and cultural traditions, while secular approaches could be comparatively ineffective and possibly insulting. She provides an example set in Haiti during the 1970’s where a high number of babies were dying of tetanus. WV discovered that midwives were using mud when cutting the umbilical cord to prevent evil spirits from entering the newborn. Talk of infection had failed, however WV’s explanation of a loving God rendered the practice unnecessary and many stopped. Similarly a member of another Christian NGO explained that their faith made them sensitive to traditional beliefs, which contrasted against ‘technical people’ who worked without consulting communities. The Zimbabwe regional manager of WV thought of the ‘Christian aspect of World Vision [as] something that made its work particularly effective’ (Bornstein 2002: 15, 12). The spiritual perspective gained through religious-based ethics can arguably be an advantage in many developing countries.

Even secular societies are constructed from religious traditions and it would therefore be foolish to ignore indigenous spirituality in the global South (Holloway and Valins 2002). However, I do not agree entirely with Tripp’s (1999) conclusions. While it is important to understand the ways in which faith manifests as lived practice and through culture, I do not believe that being religious is a necessity. Religious awareness and sensitivity are attributes that secular organizations are equally capable of achieving, although I will concede that FBOs are potentially more attentive to the matter given their own beliefs.

Problems with Religious-based Ethics

Proselytizing and Development

Proselytizing is the act of converting, or attempting to convert, people from one religion or world-view to another (Oxford University Press 2010). The same faith-based ethics that motivate missionaries to engage in development can generate a desire and sense of duty to spread their faith and convince others (Bornstein 2002; De Kadt 2009). For many FBOs including WV, proselytizing and development become one and the same, inseparable in theory and practice.

AROUND THE WEB