The Mexican American Health Paradox: The Collective Influence of Sociocultural Factors on Hispanic Health Outcomes

By Merit P. George
Discussions

Neighborhood-Level Social Support: The Unifying Link of the Paradox

Each of the key factors discussed thus far, namely familism, curanderismo, and sleep efficiency, focus on specific Mexican American behaviors, ideals, or characteristics. To further a holistic analysis of the health paradox, the general social context of the neighborhoods in which Mexican Americans typically congregate is related to overall health. Kathleen Cagney (2007) suggests in “The Latino Paradox in Neighborhood Context: The Case of Asthma and Other Respiratory Conditions” that “high levels of social capital may affect the community's potential to encourage positive health habits or sanction negative ones” (p. 919). Particularly, social capital can include knowledge of access to health services and knowledge of salutary behaviors (such as nutrition) (p. 919). Higher levels of social support can also lend itself towards healthy interaction with other individuals, greater involvement in social activities, as well as instrumental supports such as the reassurance of being able to rely on others in time of need (p. 919). Dr. Brian Karl Finch and William Armando Vega (2003) supplement this idea in “Acculturation Stress, Social Support, and Self-Rated Health among Latinos in California” by noting that “social support may act more strongly on health as a buffer to deleterious health behaviors and social stressors” (p. 109). Thus, those who hold a sense of belonging to a sociocultural group and its practices hold less of a chance to engage in deviant behaviors such as substance use. Relatedly, Cagney and her team denote three main concepts that govern the effect of social organization on the health outcomes of any immigrant group concentrated in a single area, including Mexican Americans. The first, collective efficacy, focuses on the level of trust and attachment in the neighborhood that can be drawn on for mutually beneficial action (p. 919). Social interaction and social exchange deal with the extent of potentially health-protective social support within a community (p. 919). “For example, sharing health information or driving a neighbor to the doctor are the types of instrumental activities that result from dense network connections” (p. 919).

The components of social capital in a Mexican American community consist of familism and curanderismo. In effect, these cultural resources serve as the link that joins members of the ethnic community together. In terms of the knowledge of health care services and medical advice, members of Mexican American communities are well aware of the resources made available by curanderos, and can easily disseminate information pertaining to herbal treatments or other prescribed therapies. Using Cagney’s theoretic principles, collective efficacy develops as a byproduct of shared belief systems and curanderismo practices, in addition to other family values. Social interaction and exchange is also related to the spread of curanderismo treatments. Further research into specific physical health advantages that can be derived from the cultural self-sufficiency of these neighborhoods is vital to understanding how exactly they reiterate the positive health effects of curanderismo. For example, research conducted by the aforementioned Cagney and her colleagues in “The Latino Paradox in Neighborhood Context: The Case of Asthma and Other Respiratory Conditions” has shown that there exists a distinctly graded effect for asthma and other breathing problems among foreign-born Latinos, which depends on community composition. More specifically, Latinos embedded in a neighborhood that had a high percentage of foreign-born residents experienced a significantly lower prevalence of asthma and other breathing problems than those in communities that had a low percentage of foreign-born residents (p. 919).

Nevertheless, a counterargument can be made regarding the beneficial impacts of population concentrations of Mexican Americans in certain neighborhoods. According to A. Morales (1984) in the article “Substance Abuse and Mexican-American Youth: An Overview,” the trends of alcohol and drug use are paradoxical in communities especially stricken by extreme poverty. Mexican-American youth do not have greater rates of alcohol use, except for those from the lowest SES (p. 296). Also, “it is contended that Mexican-American youth drug use patterns may be less related to cultural factors and more related to poverty factors” (p. 297). Hence among some sections of society, poor health habits, such as increased drug and alcohol use, may be supported through the same mechanisms of social organization that instill sound health behaviors. Still, one must recognize that the virtues of family and curanderismo are still maintained as the core essence of Mexican American culture, exposing even these societies to similar protective effects in the other communities.

Conclusion

Although familism and curanderismo, the two central concepts that guide a holistic overview of the Mexican American health paradox, are grounded in the specific culture of the ethnic group, it is possible to examine parts of both cultural systems and to apply those principles to other ethnic groups. Based on the marked power of the Mexican American family to shape the particular behaviors and attitudes of its constituents for the better, it is likely that families from different backgrounds also have the potential to do so. A close study of the family dynamics in a familism-centered Mexican American family could be used to create family-based intervention programs for adolescents or young adults suffering from depression or substance and drug abuse. Furthermore, a holistic analysis of the health paradox reveals new insight into possible transformations of medical practice. If more herbs that are part of original curandero treatments are found to be physiologically effective, these natural cares can be implemented into modern physician treatment plans, so as to bring about possible changes in life expectancy for these other ethnic communities. Based on the psychological advantages that can be derived from curandero-patient interactions, modern physicians should work to foster the same level of relief and understanding that folk practitioners bestow unto their clients. Not only would this promote compliance with clinical recommendations, but it would also encourage the regular use of effective western-based health resources among additional ethnic groups. Essentially, the physician must work to recognize and respect the cultural proclivities of any given ethnic group they serve before discussing a variety of treatment options. Such consideration forms the basis for a successful doctor-patient relationship that preserves a perfect blend of professional authority and sensitivity.

As it stands, the Mexican American health paradox cannot be explained by a single theory. Rather, one must consider the multidimensional culture of this particular ethnic group, so as to encompass the variety of factors that might influence longevity. Of particular interest is the folk medicine system of curanderismo, which is intricately tied to other prominent aspects of Mexican culture, including the importance of family. In turn, the physical and mental health effects of such a psychologically and biologically sound health-care system can lead to additional, desired health outcomes, resulting in a significant disparity in life expectancy that continues to defy an exhaustive explanation.

References

Ayón, C., Marsiglia, F., & Bermudez-Parsai, M. (2010). Latino family mental health: Exploring the role of discrimination and familismo. Journal Of Community Psychology, 38(6), 742-756. doi:10.1002/jcop.20392

Cagney, E., Browning, C., & Wallace, D. (2007). The Latino paradox in neighborhood context: The case of asthma and other respiratory conditions. American Journal of Public Health, 97(5), 919-925. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2005.071472

Centers for Disease Control. (2011). United States life tables by Hispanic origin. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_02/sr02_152.pdf

Chowdhury, P., Balluz, L,, & Strine, T.W. (2008). Health-related quality of life among minority populations in the united states. Ethnicity & Disease, 18(4), 483-487. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 19157254).

Eveleigh, R.M., Muskens, E., van Ravesteijn, H., et al. (2011). An overview of 19 instruments assessing the doctor-patient relationship. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 65(1), 10-15. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 22118265).

Fabricatore, A.N., Handal, P. J., Rubio, D.M., & Gilner, F.H. (2004). Stress, religion, and mental health: Religious coping in mediating and moderating roles. International

Journal For The Psychology Of Religion, 14(2), 91-108. Retrieved from EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete (Accession No. 12921384).

Farley, A., Galves, L., & Jesus, M. (2005). Stress, coping, and health: A comparison of  Mexican immigrants, Mexican-Americans, and non-Hispanic whites. Journal of Immigrant Health, 7(3), 213–220. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 15900422).

Finch, B.K., and Vega, W.A. (2003). Acculturation stress, social support, and self-rated health among Latinos in California. Journal of Immigrant Health, 5(3),109-117. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 14512765).

Franzini, L., Ribble, J.C., Keddie, A.M. (2001). Understanding the Hispanic paradox. Ethnicity and Disease, 11(3), 496–518. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 11572416).

Griffith, S. (1990). A review of the factors associated with patient compliance and the taking of prescribed medicines. British Journal of General Practice, 40(332), 114-116. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 2112014).

Hanson, M.D., & Chen, E. (2010). Daily stress, cortisol, and sleep: The moderating role of childhood psychosocial environments. Journal of Health Psychology, 29(4), 394-402. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 20658827).

Lanza, A.F., Dohrenwend, B. P., Ng-Mak, D. S., & Turner, J. (1999). The Latino mortality paradox: A test of the salmon bias and healthy migrant hypotheses. American Journal of Public Health, 89(10), 1543-1548. Retrieved from EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete (Accession No. 2333186).

Leproult, R., Copinschi, G., Buxton, O., et al. (1997). Sleep loss results in an elevation of cortisol levels the next evening. Journal of Sleep, 20(10), 865-870. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 9415946).

McGoldrick, M., & Giordano, J. (1996). Ethnicity and Family Therapy (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.

Merriman, J. (2009). How does ethnicity affect sleep disorders?. Pulmonary Reviews, 14(8), 1-13. Retrieved from EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete (Accession No. 43902648).

Morales, A. (1984). Substance abuse and Mexican-American youth: An overview. Journal of Drug Issues, 14(2), 297-311. Retrieved from PsycINFO database.

Morales, L.S., Lara, M., Kington, R.S., Valdez, R.O., Escarce, J.J. (2002). Socioeconomic, cultural, and behavioral factors affecting Hispanic health outcomes. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 13(4), 477-503. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 12407964).

Ortiz, I. E., & Torres, E. (2007). Curanderismo and the treatment of alcoholism: Findings from a focus group of Mexican curanderos. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 25(4), 79-90. doi:10.1300/J020v25n04_06

Rao, U., Hammen, C.L., & Poland, R.E. (2009). Ethnic differences present in electroencephalographic sleep patterns in adolescents. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 2(1), 17-24. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 19960099).

Rebecca, A.L. (2005). Use of alternative folk medicine by Mexican American women. Journal of Immigrant Health, 7(1), 23-31. Retrieved from EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete (Accession No. 18499472).

Rogers, R. G. (1996). The effects of family composition, health, and social support linkages on mortality. Journal Of Health & Social Behavior, 37(4), 326-338. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 8997888).

Sanders, A. E. (2010). A Latino advantage in oral health-related quality of life is modified by nativity status. Journal of Social Science & Medicine, 71(1), 205-211. doi:10.1016/ j.socscimed.2010.03.031

Sarche, M., & Spicer, P. (2008). Poverty and health disparities for American Indian and Alaska native children. Annals Of The New York Academy Of Sciences, 113(6), 126-136. doi:10.1196/annals.1425.017

Schor, E. (1987). Family health: Utilization and effects of family membership. Journal of Medical Care, 25(7), 616-626. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 3695666).

Scribner, R. (1996). Paradox as paradigm--the health outcomes of Mexican Americans. American Journal of Public Health, 86(3), 303-305. Retrieved from EBSCOhost Academic Search Complete (Accession No. 9604032303).

Seicean, S., Neuhauser, D., Strohl, K., et al. (2011). An exploration of differences in sleep characteristics between Mexico-born U.S immigrants and other Americans to address the Hispanic paradox. Journal of Sleep, 34(8), 1021-1031. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 21804664).

Smith, B.W., Dalen, J., Wiggins, K.T., et al. (2008). Who is willing to use complementary and alternative medicine?. Journal of Science and Healing, 4(6), 359-367. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 18984547).

Swaim, R.C., Oetting, E.R., Jumper-Thurman, P., Beauvais, F., & Edwards, R.W. (1993). American Indian adolescent drug use and socialization characteristics: A cross-cultural comparison. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 24(1), 53-70. doi: 10.1177/0022022193241004

Tafur, M.M., Crowe, T.K., & Torres, E. (2009). A review of curanderismo and healing practices among Mexicans and Mexican Americans. Occupational Therapy International, 16(1), 82-88. Retrieved from PubMed Database (PMID: 19222054).

Torres, E., & Sawyer, T. L. (2004). Curandero: A life in Mexican folk healing. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press.

Trotter, R., & Chavira, J.A. (1997). Curanderismo: Mexican American folk healing. Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press.

Latest in Health Science

The use of synthetic opioids in the United States in the past 30 years has created an epidemic the likes of which our healthcare and law enforcement systems have never before encountered. Although some opioid analogs, like fentanyl, were developed... Read Article »
Romanies are one of history’s most misunderstood ethnic populations. Since medieval times, they have faced slavery, forced assimilation, sterilization, genocide, and other forms of ethnic cleansing. Their cultural and historical persecution... Read Article »
The calcium-binding protein apoaequorin has been studied for its possible indication to improve human cognition and memory. Faculty at Quincy Bioscience developed Prevagen with this in mind, claiming its apoaequorin-formulated supplement may decrease... Read Article »
Areas of the world found to harbor the people with exceptional lifespans are known as a Longevity Blue Zone (LBZ). LBZ’s are areas around the world that have an unusual concentration of centenarians. This paper investigates the link between... Read Article »
Although spirituality has been an essential part of healing for most of mankind, modern medicine is more likely to embrace a mechanistic view of the human body where illness is an engineering problem and the body is the sum of discrete parts, rather... Read Article »
Ketamine, described by the chemical formula C13H16ClNO, is most commonly associated with adolescent and adult recreational drug users and ravers who abuse this drug to experience a euphoric and dissociative state. Although this drug is a federal... Read Article »
The ketogenic diet, or keto diet for short, is a fad diet that has gained significant attention in recent years as a popular weight loss approach. The diet is characterized by a depletion of carbohydrates which in turn place the body in a state... Read Article »

How to Read for Grad School
The Career Value of the Humanities & Liberal Arts
How to Use Regression Analysis Effectively