Implementation of Multi Input Power Converter for Grid Connected Hybrid Renewable Energy Generation System

By Yuvaraj V
2011, Vol. 3 No. 06 | pg. 1/1

Abstract

The objective of this paper is to propose a novel multi-input power converter for the grid-connected hybrid renewable energy system in order to simplify the power system and reduce the cost. The proposed multi-input power converter consists of a Cuk fused multi-input dc–dc converter and a fullbridge dc–ac inverter. The incremental conductance (IncCond) method is mainly used to accomplish the maximum power point tracking (MPPT) algorithm for input sources. The operational principle of the proposed multi-input power converter is explained. A multi-input power converter (MIPC) which operates in four modes: first an operation type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from hybrid renewable energy sources; second a single type wherein only one renewable energy source supplies power to the dc Bus; third an inverter type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from ac grid via inverter module, and fourth a battery type wherein power is delivered to dc Bus from batteries without renewable energy source. The integration of the dc Bus and a hybrid renewable power supply system is implemented and simulated using MATLAB/SIMULINK. A hybrid renewable power energy which integrates the solar energy, wind-power.

Download Article

Click here to download this article as a PDF.

Renewable energy sources, which are expected to be a promising alternative energy source, can bring new challenges when connected to the power grid. However, the generated power from renewable energy source is always fluctuating due to environmental conditions. In the same way, wind power injection into an electric grid affects the power quality due to the fluctuation nature of the wind and the comparatively new types of its generators. On... MORE»
Nelson Mandela once said, "You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself." This quote is particularly applicable to the field of energy, and the transition from an unsustainable fossil fuel consuming world, to one based on sustainable living and renewable primary energy sources. Although many believe that embracing sustainability is not worth the time, money or effort, the truth is that the longer we wait to move to a sustainable... MORE»
Objectives: Identify the factors affecting quality of sleep, and assess the impact of low quality sleep on the daily activities of students. Materials and Methods: A descriptive, cross-sectional survey was done, using self-administered questionnaires. Sleep quality was assessed using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). Data was collected, sleep quality was determined, and then data was analyzed using SPSS v.17 software. Results: This study... MORE»
Just by flipping through television channels or walking through the aisles of a grocery store, it is easy to see that the popularity of “Green” and “Sustainable” lifestyles is growing everyday. With an impending energy crisis on our hands, people want to find ways to reduce their energy consumption, and a major benefit of that is saving money on energy costs. People who want to make their home more energy efficient need to... MORE»
Big oil’s ruthless supply and demand tactics have monopolized the entire energy industry by shredding competitors’ attempts to offer alternatives. Consumers are thus forced to surrender their right to choose due to the aggressive techniques being used by the oil industry to prevent the use of clean energy. Unfortunately, the American government has historically sided with the oil tycoons. In the movie Who Killed the Electric Car... MORE»