Childhood Obesity: Prevention and the Role of School Psychologists

By Kendra A. Palmer

Instances of childhood in the have increased substantially in recent years. In fact, studies of incidence of obesity over time revealed that, in the period of 25 years, rates increased 2.3 to 3.3-fold in the United States and about 2.8-fold in England (Ebbeling et al., 2002). Astonishingly, between 16-33% of American children and adolescents meet the criteria for being categorized as obese (aacap.org, 2008), which is defined as being in the ninety-fifth percentile or higher in body mass index or BMI (Klein & Dietz, 2009). 300,000 deaths each year are attributable to unhealthy weight gain due to poor diet and lack of exercise, and the yearly financial toll on the U.S. for problems associated with obesity was estimated to be about $117 billion in 2000 (aacap.org, 2008; Weschler et al., 2004). Further, according to the Journal of Applied School Psychology (2008), overweight children are at high risk for an array of correlated medical and psychiatric difficulties. It is clear that the quality of life of these children is significantly impaired (Ward-Benoche et al., 2008).

What can school psychologists do to help in the prevention of childhood obesity? Klein & Dietz (2009) attest to the fact that obesity prevention is essential in improving the health of the general public and controlling health care costs. This text will discuss obesity and childhood obesity as a disorder with a cause, review some of the psychosocial problems associated with childhood obesity, offer opportunities for school-based obesity prevention programs and precedents, and point to the role of the school psychologist within these programs.

Childhood Obesity as a Disorder

But how is childhood obesity a disorder? The U.S. Surgeon General has identified obesity as an “epidemic” and “one of the greatest health problems facing the nation today” (Weschler et al., 2004, p. 4). One in three children in the United States is overweight or obese, and the rise in obesity prevalence is associated with “increased availability and consumption of high-calorie food, declines in physical activity, and increased media use” (Klein & Dietz, 2009, p. 388). Obesity, like other classified disorders, prevents a child from functioning at his or her ideal capability. It is a physical condition where normal and salubrious operation is disrupted.

The National Association of state Boards of (NASBE) alleges that “health and success in school are interrelated. Schools cannot achieve their primary mission of education if students and staff are not health and fit physically, mentally, and socially” (Weschler et al., 2004, p.4). Physical risks include high blood pressure, diabetes, breathing problems, increased risk of he disease, early puberty or menstruation, sleep disorders like apnea, high cholesterol, and trouble sleeping (aacap.org, 2008; MayoClinic.com, 2010). Moreover, poor health and obesity can result in learning setbacks or even disabilities, and these physical conditions also coincide with the presence of numerous psychosocial problems (Martinez, 2004). That is, obesity inhibits optimal health and consequently causes psychological complications, psychosocial complications, and can lead to academic difficulties (Martinez, 2004). A condition which is capable of presenting these obstacles for a child must undoubtedly be regarded as a disorder.

Poor eating habits, overeating or binging, lack of exercise, family history of obesity, stressful life events or changes, medical illness such as endocrine or neurological problems (although this accounts for less than 1% of obese children), medications, family and/or peer problems can all contribute to obesity (aacap.org, 2008). Ebbeling et al. (2002) indicate that in the United States, “prevalence of obesity [in children] has risen more than twice as fast among minority groups,” and hypothesize that “the urban poor in developed countries might be especially vulnerable because of poor diet and limited opportunity for physical activity” (p. 473). A connection between childhood obesity and adiposity has also been established. The size and number of adipocytes in some children is excessive. Adipose tissue secretes bioactive peptides, which are called adipokines, and these act locally through autocrine, paracrine and endocrine effects (Ronti et al., 2006). In obesity, the increased production of most adipokines impacts multiple functions such as appetite and energy balance, immunity, insulin sensitivity, blood pressure, and lipid metabolism, all of which are linked with cardiovascular disease (Ronti et al., 2006). Some children seem to display a mutation in leptin, a hormone normally produced by adipocytes and secreted in proportion to body fat mass (Ebbeling et al., 2002).

Psychosocial Problems Related to Childhood Obesity

In order to fully grasp the magnitude of this disorder, the findings of relevant studies pertaining to psychosocial ramifications should be discussed. Although there are arguably others—and many seem to be perplexingly interrelated—the most distressing psychosocial consequences resulting from childhood obesity seem to be bullying and taunting, self-esteem issues and anxiety, depression, and eating disorders.

Ebbeling et al. (2002) contend that obese children are very often stereotyped as unhealthy, academically incompetent, socially inept, unhygienic, and lazy. Even healthcare providers knowledgeable in the areas of obesity and treatment tend to retain these negative stereotypes to some extent (Ebbeling et al., 2002). In addition, overweight children are often bullied and taunted by their peers, which can be extremely upsetting. Adverse psychosocial effects of obesity are “often more severe among white children, particularly girls, than in other ethnic groups” (Ebbeling et al., 2002). Strauss (2000) asserts that “negative attitudes toward obese children begin quite young and may be difficult to change” (p. 5).

It cannot be negated that self-esteem and self-concept are especially salient during the preadolescence years, and that adolescence is a period of extensive self-criticism and turmoil in terms of developing a self-concept (Ward et al., 2010). Overweight children as young as five years of age can start to develop a negative self-image, according to Ebbeling et al. (2002), and “obese adolescents exhibit declining degrees of self-esteem associated with sadness, loneliness, nervousness, and other high-risk behaviors” (p. 474). Importance of body image and low self-esteem seems to be lowest among white and Hispanic obese girls (Strauss, 2000). Anxiety can be also be a by-product of obesity, which may contribute to lower self-esteem in older children and adolescents (Strauss, 2000).

The condition of obesity can also prompt depression in children, a complication bringing with it a host of new problems. Untreated depression during adolescence carries severe short- and long-term consequences. Pinto-Foltz et al. (2009) state that “adolescents with untreated depression have impaired functioning in all domains, lower academic achievement, more unintended pregnancies, increased incidence of suicide, and are more likely, than adolescents without depression, to use substances like tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs” (p. 37). Long-term consequences of depression involve problems resulting from poor overall health (Pinto-Foltz et al., 2009).

Anxiety and self-esteem issues associated with childhood obesity can generate the of various eating disorders. These can include serious problems like overeating and bingeing, anorexia, bulimia, and other types of eating disorders. Among adolescent girls especially, depression related to obesity is associated with anorexia nervosa (Pinto-Foltz et al., 2009).

AROUND THE WEB