The Development of Theatre: Peter Brook and the Human Connection

By Sawyer A. Theriault

Brook forgot convention, and aimed to go beyond anything that audiences had already experienced. He changed, and not without controversy, the effect that the theatre can produce. In his own words, he attempted to “divide the eternal truths from the superficial variations” (Brook, 16): The “eternal truths” being the “invisible”–the inherent emotions in any human–and the “superficial variations” being the way in which to present those truths. “I can take any empty space and call it a bare stage,” Brook says, “A man walks across this empty space while someone else is watching him, and this is all that is needed for an act of theatre to be engaged” (Brook, 9). Thus he creates something honest: a human connection. And from that connection the audience's inner emotions are called forth–they are moved.

Aronson, Arnold. New York Times. NY Times, 25 May 2005. Web. 1 Dec. 2009. .

Barnes, Clive. "Historic Staging of a Dream." New York times [New York] 27 Aug. 1970. Print.

Brook, Peter. The Empty Space. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1968. Print.

Kramer, Andreas. "Antonin Artaud." Ebsco Host. Web. 1 Dec. 2009.

It is widely recognized that state security is no longer contingent upon a balance of power or the threat of conquering states, but global stability is now instead jeopardized by weak or fragile states. Fragile states represent chaos, disorder, and underdevelopment, and their very existence threatens not only the security of the developed world, but the capitalist, consumer-driven lifestyle to which the Western world is accustomed. Of critical concern... MORE»
William Shakespeare’s Richard III is no doubt a fascinating character and an entertaining villain. It is Shakespeare’s command of the English language, and his keen sense of drama and psychological depth, that make his plays so affecting and deeply memorable. Shakespeare was a brilliant playwright, but nevertheless, he was not a historian; Unfortunately for history, and for Richard, the power and appeal of his plays make... MORE»
Russia and Iran have a long history of being geographic neighbours, rivals, competitors and partners - a history which has coined mutual expectations, stereotypes and interactions. Still present in the Iranian collective memory, Tsarist Russia expanded territorially into wide parts of what had hitherto been part of “Greater Iran” in Central Asia and the Caucasus. That way, Tehran lost Tbilisi and Baku to Russia in the 1813 Treaty of Gulistan... MORE»
Publius Ovidius Naso (43 B.C – 17 A.D.), a Roman aristocrat and poet, wrote a collection of poems based on Greek and Roman mythology. Ovid called it “Metamorphoses” as he selected myths that dealt with the transformation of people, gods, and heroes into forces or features of nature. Metamorphoses became one of the most popular and influential literary works in the history of European civilization. Shakespeare must... MORE»